This guide will show you how to set up the Formstack + MS Dynamics integration. If you don't have an account yet, or if you'd simply like to learn more, check out our webpage about the Formstack + Microsoft Dynamics Integration.
What To Expect
With the Formstack + Microsoft Dynamics integration, you'll be able to link one or more Formstack forms to Microsoft Dynamics, and the integration will create a new lead or contact (your choice) whenever one of the linked forms is submitted.
Note: all forms are required to have an Email field with the label "Email" so that we can de-duplicate the submission with existing submissions or records in your CRM.
Step 1: Login to Formstack Sync
Step 2: Install the Formstack connector
After you log in to Formstack Sync, go to the Connectors page by clicking "Connectors" in the left-hand sidebar. Then, select the "Formstack" connector in the dropdown, and click "Install".
In the dialog box that appears, click "Sign In to Formstack".
If you aren't already logged into Formstack, you will now be asked to login. Once you are logged in to Formstack, you'll see a screen asking you to give permissions to Formstack Sync. Click "Authorize".
Next, you'll see a screen confirming that you have logged in to Formstack. Click "Save".
Step 3: Install the Microsoft Dynamics Connector
NOTE: These instructions are for customers using the cloud-hosted version of Dynamics 365 (version 9). If you're using an older version of Dynamics, or an on-premise version of Dynamics, we have a separate guide which you should follow.
For Dynamics version 8+ hosted in the cloud, select "MS Dynamics (v9)" in the dropdown, and click "Install".
In the dialog box that appears, click "Sign In to MS Dynamics (cloud hosted v9)".
Next, enter the URL that you use to access Dynamics. This will look something like: "https://mycompany.crm.dynamics.com/". Enter the appropriate URL for your organization, and click "Continue".
If you aren't already logged in to Microsoft Dynamics, you'll be asked to login. Enter your username and click "Next".
On the next screen, you'll enter your password. After you log in to Dynamics, you'll see a screen confirming that you logged in successfully. Click "Save".
Step 4: Complete Form to Have Your Forms Enabled
To begin reading information from your forms we will need to enable read access to the forms you would like to sync submissions from. Please complete this form and we will reach out once we have completed the request. Advanced Integration Forms Request
Step 5: Configure Your First Form
Next, you will map fields between a Formstack form and Microsoft Dynamics. You'll pick a form to integrate with Dynamics, and you'll tell Formstack Sync which fields on the form correspond to fields in Dynamics.
Click on "Mappings" the left-hand sidebar. Then, click "Add Mapping".
In the dialog that appears, select "Contact" from the dropdown list. If you want, you can name the mapping (for example, you could name it according to the name of the Form you're planning to integrate, such as "Demo Form"). Click "Save".
Step 6: Configure Form Fields
Next, click "Add Field" to set up the first field you'll send to Dynamics.
This will bring up the field mapping dialog. Here, you select a field from Formstack that you want to send to Dynamics, and the corresponding field in Dynamics where you want the data to appear. Under "Connector", click the text that says "Click to Edit".
Next, open the dropdown that appears, and choose "formstack0".
Then, under "Object", choose the form that you want to integrate with Dynamics. Note that the name will be displayed a little bit differently within Formstack Sync. For example, if the form were called "Demo Form", then the name in Formstack Sync would be "formdata_demoform".
Finally, select the field that you want to send to Dynamics.
Now, repeat the above process for Dynamics:
- Click "Add Mapped Field"
- Click the dropdown that appears under "Connector", and choose "dynamicscrm0"
- Choose the "lead" object under the "Object" dropdown
- Choose the field that you want to receive the data in Dynamics
Finally, enter a Label for this field, and then click "Save".
Repeat step 6 until you've set up all of the fields for the first form that you want to integrate with Dynamics. When you're done, your mapping will look something like this:
NOTE: stick with one form for now -- you can add additional forms later, by going back to step 4 and starting a new mapping. We recommend setting up one mapping per form that you want to integrate with Dynamics.
Step 7: Turn On Your Integration
Once you've set up at least one mapping, you're ready to turn on your integration! Click "Dashboard" in the left-hand sidebar, then click the "On/Off" switch under "Integration Status".
In the dialog that appears, you have an option between "Sync Future Changes Only", and "Sync All Records". Here's what this means:
- Sync Future Changes Only: only future form submissions will be sent to Dynamics
- Sync All Records: all of your existing form submissions will be sent to Dynamics, as well as any new submissions in future
Choose whether you want to sync existing form submissions, then click "Start".
Step 8: Wait for Initial Run to Complete
At this point, Formstack Sync will start to ingest your form submissions. If you have a significant amount of submission data, this can take some time. You can keep an eye on this from your Dashboard:
When you initially start the integration, you will see a gray rectangle that says "Scheduled". You may also see a grey rectangle with a "Refresh" icon, which shows that the integration is currently running. At this point, your integration is still ingesting your submission data from Formstack.
Once you see a green rectangle with a check mark in it that says "Up to Date", you'll know that the integration is ready to start processing new form submissions. If you chose "Sync All Records" in Step 6 above, this will also indicate that the integration is finished sending your previous form submissions to Dynamics.
Step 9: Run a Test
As a final step, we recommend running a test to ensure that your integration works the way you expect. Go ahead and submit the form you just hooked up to Dynamics. After a few minutes, the information you submitted should show up as a new lead.
If it doesn't, it might be that your configuration in Formstack Sync isn't quite right. The most common reasons leads might not show up in Dynamics are:
- Required fields: make sure that all required fields on the Dynamics lead are also required on your Formstack form. All of the required fields in Dynamics need to be supplied on the Formstack form in order for new leads/contacts to be created by the integration. Have a look at this article for more on required fields: https://support.bedrockdata.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023974471-Managing-Required-Fields-in-Your-Mappings
- Mismatched field types: make sure that type of each field on the Formstack form matches the type of field in Dynamics, for fields that you've hooked up through the integration. For example, if you try sending a checkbox field from Formstack to a date field in Dynamics, the integration won't be able to create new leads/contacts. Have a look at this article for more information on field types https://support.bedrockdata.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023974071-Understanding-Field-Types-in-Your-Mappings
- Mismatched dropdown options: for dropdown fields, make sure that every option on the Formstack form is also present in Dynamics. If you have any options coming from Formstack that aren't present in the dropdown in Dynamics, the integration won't be able to create new leads/contacts. It is also important to note that the options in the dropdowns residing in the respective must be a character for character match for the creation of a new lead/contact to be successful.
If you are having trouble getting form submissions to send data into Dynamics, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be happy to help you troubleshoot.