To connect ConnectWise to your Formstack Sync account, you will need the following information:
- Site name
- Company name
- Public API Key
- Private API Key
IMPORTANT: At this time we do not support the 3.0.1 API. This includes the new
Multi-Select fields for Type found on the Contact and Company. We are actively building
a new version to support this most recent release and current timeline is Fall 2019.
Member / Role Requirements
You will need to generated API keys associated with a specific Member in this process and there are two types of Members that you can use to authenticate the Formstack Sync Connector.
- Role #1 - Admin (Recommended)
- Role #2 - Custom Role
If you opt to setup a custom role, review the minimum set of permissions here: https://support.bedrockdata.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023976471-Setting-up-a-Custom-Integration-Role-in-ConnectWise-for-the-Bedrock-Integration.
We recommend the Admin if/when possible as you won't have to worry about keeping the permissions up to date if changes are made to the ConnectWise Connector. If your ConnectWise administrator has concerns about using such a global role, we can provide a list of the objects and the data points we use in the REST API so that they will be aware of the information they are giving us access to via this role.
Your ConnectWise site name is the URL that you visit to log into ConnectWise. Do not enter http:// before you enter this url to authenticate.
ConnectWise Hosted Customers: If your site URL is in the format "na.myconnectwise.net", you must append "api-" to the start of your site URL. For example, "na.myconnectwise.net" should be entered as "api-na.myconnectwise.net"
ConnectWise Company Name
Enter the company name that you use to log into ConnectWise.
You will need to generate a public and private API key to authenticate. These keys must come from an Member that is setup as an Admin. If you don't have an existing member that you wish to use for this integration, we recommend creating a new Member that will be used specifically for authenticating the Formstack Sync integration.
Your private API key will only be visible when you first create it, so make sure that you save it in a secure location such as a password manager.
How to Generate an API Key
- You will need to authenticate with an account that has full access to all ConnectWise API objects via an administrator account. As noted above, if you don't have an existing member that is an Admin, you will need to create a new Member for the integration.
- Sign into ConnectWise through the desktop or online portal as the Integration User.
- From the "My Settings" drop-down in the top right corner, select "My Account".
- Select the "API Keys" tab and click the Plus sign to add a new API Key.
- Enter a descriptive title and click the "Save" icon.
- ConnectWise will display your public and private API keys. While the public one can always be accessed, the private key must be saved in a secure location.
- Enter your public and private API keys into the appropriate fields on the Formstack Sync authentication modal and click "Save."
Formstack Sync will authenticate your connector.
Congrats! We're now able to start integrating your ConnectWise data with your other systems!